⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] Missing standardnames for our our ocean model MPI-OM

From: Martina Stockhause <martina.stockhause>
Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2008 13:57:44 +0200

Dear all,

for the output parameters of our ocean model MPI-OM we identified a few
parameters for which no CF standard name could be found.

We propose to add to the CF convention:

1. richardson_number; 1

This number is used in meteorology as well as in oceanography.
It is the dimensionless ratio of buoyant suppression of turbulence to shear
generation of turbulence. It is used as a dynamic stability measure to
determine if turbulence will exist (AMS-Glossary
http://amsglossary.allenpress.com/glossary/search?id=richardson-number1).

2. viscosity and diffusivity measures:
sea_water_vertical_viscosity; m2 s-1
sea_water_vertical_diffusivity; m2 s-1
sea_water_vertical_diffusivity_due_to_wind; m2 s-1

Diffusivity is used for tracers, i.e. temperature and salinity, and viscosity
for momentum. Viscosity is defined as the ratio of the shearing stress to the
shear of the motion.

3. water_flux_in_ocean_without_flux_correction; m s-1 [kg m-2 s-1]

We have an uncorrected water_flux term. In the existing and referenced
water_flux_into_ocean this correction is already contained. Since this water
flux is used for freshwater (of density 1 kg m-3) the unit can be either the
CF flux unit kg m-2 s-1 or the one used in our ocean model m s-1.

4. energy tendencies
tendency_of_potential_energy_content_of_ocean_layer_due_to_diffusion; W m-2
tendency_of_potential_energy_content_of_ocean_layer_due_to_convection; W m-2

5. some "where_sea" parameters
surface_net_downward_radiative_flux_where_sea; W m-2
surface_net_downward_shortwave_flux_where_sea; W m-2
surface_net_downward_longwave_flux_where_sea; W m-2
surface_downward_latent_heat_flux_where_sea; W m-2
surface_downward_sensible_heat_flux_where_sea; W m-2

These are only needed if ticket 17 (I hope the number is right. I got an error
on the trac site when I tried to check it.) should be unsuccessful. Otherwise
the addition "where_sea" will move into the attributes. And for
the "remaining parts" there already exist CF standard names.

Regards,
Martina