⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] CF complexity and CF compliance

From: Heinke Hoeck <heinke.hoeck>
Date: Fri, 23 May 2008 11:04:20 +0200

Joe Sirott wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I was wondering if anyone involved in the CF process knows of any
> software libraries that are completely CF 1.2 compliant. I know that
> from my point of view -- as a software developer who develops software
> that must be able to read a wide variety of geophysical data formats
> -- it has been impossible to keep up with the increasingly complex
> conventions in the specification. It would be very helpful if I had
> access to a library that fully supported the semantics in the CF
> conventions (such as projections from CF allowed coordinate system to
> lat/lon space).
Dear Joe,

I able to offer you the cdo routines:
http://www.mpimet.mpg.de/fileadmin/software/cdo/
It is not completely CF 1.2 compliant. It is near 1.0. The main focus is
grib but you can use it for netCDF as well.
We used the cdo routines for the transformation from a coordinate system
to lat/lon space for the 'CLM regional climate model runs forced by the
global IPCC scenario runs'
project:
http://cera-www.dkrz.de/WDCC/ui/Project.jsp?proj=CLM_regional_climate_model_runs
The data stream 3 (projected onto a non-rotated grid with 0.2 deg.
spatial resolution) was created for the 'data consumer'. The quality
control of the
data stream 3 was very complex, because we had to use two different
transformations depending on the model (nearest neighbour method and
bilinear interpolation).

I hope this will help you

Best regards
Heinke