⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] CF complexity and CF compliance

From: Karl Taylor <taylor13>
Date: Thu, 22 May 2008 15:56:48 -0700

Dear Joe,

You are correct that most users do not know how to map data from a
complex grid to a cartesian longitude x latitude grid, which is why the
CMIP3 specs were written the way they were. Never-the-less this is not
a desirable situation because whenever data is mapped to a different
grid, information is lost, and certain types of analysis can no longer
be performed accurately (e.g., computing a divergence). CF makes it
possible to describe the most important traits of complex grids, and
should facilitate the development of software that would automatically
regrid data (preserving certain desirable characteristics) to any target
grid. There is at least one reasonably general "regridding" tool with
capability to do this (SCRIP, see http://public.lanl.gov/pwjones/ ), but
at present I don't think it can harvest the metadata from a CF-compliant
netCDF file and use it to generate the weights needed to map from one
grid to another. Thus, the user must do this himself, which is
considerable work.

By the way for the next CMIP (CMIP5), which will serve the AR5, it is
expected that model output will be accepted on the native grids. Thus,
  there is an immediate need to begin developing user-friendly software
that will indeed serve the purposes of users who want data on a
longitude x latitude grid. One proposal is to require modeling groups
to supply the "mapping factors" (i.e., weights) needed by SCRIP to
regrid to a longitude x latitude grid chosen by the contributing
modeling group. A perhaps better solution is for someone to develop a
software tool that allows the user to regrid the data to any target grid.

The bottom line is that it is difficult for most researchers to make use
of data not on longitude x latitude grids, but I don't think this is an
argument for not allowing modeling groups to store their data in a way
that has fundamental advantages (i.e., on the native grid). We simply
need to develop a tool that allows the grid meta-data to be interpreted
by SCRIP, which I think could be done with less than 1 person-year of
effort.

If this isn't done, the data contributed to the CMIP5 archive on
non-cartesian longitude x latitude grids will be of marginal value.

Best regards,
Karl