⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] Tools and CF compliance Was: CF Conventions 1.2

From: Jon Blower <jdb>
Date: Mon, 12 May 2008 10:52:08 +0100

Hi Phil,

> Given the number and variety of OGC specifications, I'm not sure it's easy
> to make a direct comparison. IMHO, some of the problems being addressed by
> OGC specifications appear harder than CF, while others appear easier.

Fair point - I was thinking about WMS and simple-features-WFS really.
The SWE suite is likely to be harder in this respect.

> The question is whether or not we should be specifying an interface
> standard for CF objects.

I think this would be a good idea (it might be rather like GeoAPI and
the GeoTools implementation) but it would probably be quite a lot of
work and would need to translate well across languages. But I agree
that such a thing would be useful to me as a tool developer. There
are synergies with data models such as CSML here too. Perhaps the
Unidata people have comments here?

Cheers, Jon

On Mon, May 12, 2008 at 10:47 AM, Philip Bentley
<philip.bentley at metoffice.gov.uk> wrote:

> [...]
> the
> > auspices of a body - like OGC (if they'd have us :-) - with deeper
> pockets?
> >
> > It occurs to me, however, that part of the problem may be due to the fact
> > that CF is primarily focussed on defining an information model, not a
> > programming interface. And while software practitioners have plenty of
> > experience of developing solutions that conform to well-defined interfaces
> > (netCDF and OGC's WMS, WFS & WCS being fine examples), I'd contend that
> they
> > have much less experience of developing solutions that test whether or not
> > particular dataset conforms to a particular information model. Or that a
> > conforming dataset makes any sense in a given end-user context - which
> seems
> > to be what we're asking of CF-compliant software. Personally, I don't
> > believe that's a tractable problem.
> >
> > Perhaps this interface-based approach is what CMOR and libCF are trying to
> > do. Unfortunately I have little experience of either of these initiatives
> so
> > I'll leave it to others to comment on these. But if we really want to get
> > handle on software compliance issues then, IMHO, I believe we need to go
> > down the defined interface route. And the netCDF API itself should give us
> > good steer on how to go about this.
> >
> > Cheers,
> > Phil
> >

> > > And I could read this file today using, say, ncdump and ncview. Which
> > > clearly doesn't tell us much.
> >
> > This is a really important point. It would be very difficult, in the
> > general case, to ascertain whether a certain piece of software
> > actually interprets a certain CF attribute correctly. Conversely it
> > is perhaps unreasonable to expect a piece of software to implement
> > correctly every feature of a certain CF version.
> >
> > What a tool user really wants to know (I think) is, for a given NetCDF
> > file, which attributes in the file are correctly interpreted by the
> > tool. I can't think of a neat way to do this - perhaps tool
> > developers could publish a list of attributes that they claim to be
> > able to interpret for each version of the tool they produce? A given
> > tool might then implement 100% of CF1.0 but 50% of CF1.2 for example.
> > Then the CF community could maintain a list of tools that users could
> > go to to find out which tools might be most suited to their purpose.
> >
> > An add-on to the CF compliance checker could be created that, having
> > scanned a file for CF attributes, produces a list that says "Tool X
> > understands all of the attributes in this file, but Tool Y only
> > understands 7 out of 9".
> >
> > All this requires effort of course, but I think it's useful to
> > consider what we really mean when we call for "CF compliance". How
> > can we help users to judge which tools they should use and how can we
> > help data providers to ensure that their data can be interpreted by a

Dr Jon Blower Tel: +44 118 378 5213 (direct line)
Technical Director Tel: +44 118 378 8741 (ESSC)
Reading e-Science Centre Fax: +44 118 378 6413
ESSC Email: jdb at mail.nerc-essc.ac.uk
University of Reading
3 Earley Gate
Reading RG6 6AL, UK