⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] Tools and CF compliance (CF-metadata Digest, Vol 62, Issue 2)

From: Schultz, Martin <m.schultz>
Date: Fri, 9 May 2008 09:03:29 +0200

Tools and CF compliance Was: CF Conventions 1.2 (Jon Blower)

Hi,

   concerning compliance and the CF compliance checker: In my view there are two very different ways how this can/should be interpreted:
(1) check whether (or to what extent) a given file adheres to the convention. This assumes that the file does in theory adhere to the convention and can be quite useful to detect errors.
(2) support the development of scripts, CMOR tables, etc. which shall generate CF compliant files. Here, it cannot be expected a priori that the file adheres to CF at all (including the missing "Convention" attribute), so the tool should produce hints to the developer as to what changes he/she should make. While of course most CF attributes are "optional", individuals and projects should nevertheless strive to implement a good part of them. Thus, a good "compliance test" would go beyond critizing what is there but wrong and notify the user of what is not there but should perhaps be added.

   At present the CF checker operates under principle number 1, but in order to proliferate CF I would suggest to consider some way of going towards variant 2. I believe that most of the testng that is necessary for this is embedded in the CF checker anyway, so it would probably be mostly a matter of some program logic and generation of verbose messages. Perhaps this can be realized on the web interface with a simple check box:
    [ ] suggest further improvements to the file's attribute structure

Best regards,

Martin

< Dr. Martin G. Schultz, ICG-2, Forschungszentrum J?lich >
< D-52425 J?lich, Germany >
< ph: +49 (0)2461 61 2831, fax: +49 (0)2461 61 8131 >
< email: m.schultz at fz-juelich.de >
< web: http://www.fz-juelich.de/icg/icg-2/m_schultz >

Message: 1