⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] what standard names are for

From: John Graybeal <graybeal>
Date: Sat, 12 Apr 2008 09:36:29 -0700

There have been a lot of emails lately, from varying sources, expressing frustration with the CF standard names process (and/or Jonathan), and implicitly wondering whether the cost is worth the value.

As someone who at times criticizes CF, I'd like to add my voice on its behalf. Jonathan should not always have to be the defender of the faith, or the process. Although he does so quite well, as in this case.

There have always been a large number of diverse communities using vocabularies (whether they actually had a managed list of terms and definitions, or not). Even within institutions or communities, finding common vocabularies can be difficult or impossible. Agreement on a single vocabulary is not always possible, and in these cases, the community always has the option of mapping its vocabulary terms to those in CF.

Why use CF standard names at all? Because they serve as a common language for translating, or more accurately sharing, many useful concepts. Why does the CF vocabulary community have such 'endless' debates about terms? Because this is necessary to let CF continue to be the best possible common language for its users, who come from many communities. It is never easy to come to agreements that are robust and widely endorsed.

For those who think CF is not meeting their needs for exchanging data, there are certainly other vocabularies out there, and options for mapping them to CF terms. For those who think it isn't a very good vocabulary, I encourage you to compare it to other wide-ranging vocabularies for scientific parameters -- having done so in a few narrow domains, I claim it is noticeably better than almost anything else out there. For those who are frustrated with the process, please take some time to consider the alternatives, and propose improvements if you think they are warranted.

But most of all, please appreciate the value and interoperability obtained by the high number of users of CF standard names, and compare it to the relatively low costs incurred by the managers (financial), the contributors (time), and the people adding terms (time and frustration). The fact that a lot of users are taking on the work of getting their terms into CF will hopefully be seen as a sign of its success, and of the importance of adding resources for its continued development.

John

--
John Graybeal   <mailto:graybeal at mbari.org>  -- 831-775-1956