⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] Adding new standard names for satellite altimetry

From: Godin, Michael <godin>
Date: Thu, 10 Apr 2008 10:36:42 -0700

Dear Jonathan and Oliver,

>> backward(s)_scattering_coefficient
>> (I think it is better not to name it with no reference to the kind of
>> surface, because backscattering coefficient can be used in satellite
>> altimetry to study ice sheets, for example. Moreover some flags are
>> used to discriminate if measurement is on ocean or land.)

>OK. Could we put just "surface_" then (not "sea_surface_")? Scattering
>is also possible within the atmosphere, and it is useful to distinguish.

It's probably also wise to indicate whether this is specific scattering or volume scattering, and to include an "of" term for the scattering coefficient. Perhaps surface scattering is implied if no "in" term is specified?

See an existing (and much discussed) term and its description for an example that indicates "volume," "of," and "in":

volume_backwards_scattering_coefficient_of_radiative_flux_in_sea_water (m-1)

Radiative flux is the sum of shortwave and longwave radiative fluxes. In accordance with common usage in geophysical disciplines, "flux" implies per unit area, called "flux density" in physics. The volume scattering/absorption/attenuation coefficient is the fractional change of radiative flux per unit path length due to the stated process. Coefficients with canonical units of m2 s-1 i.e. multiplied by density have standard names with specific_ instead of volume_. The scattering/absorption/attenuation coefficient is assumed to be an integral over all wavelengths, unless a coordinate of radiation_wavelength is included to specify the wavelength. Scattering of radiation is its deflection from its incident path without loss of energy. Backwards scattering refers to the sum of scattering into all backward angles i.e. scattering_angle exceeding pi/2 radians. A scattering_angle should not be specified with this quantity.

Regards,
Mike