⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] what standard names are for

From: Roy Lowry <rkl>
Date: Thu, 10 Apr 2008 16:12:52 +0100

Hi John,

The back end supports versioned mappings, through maintenance of an audit trail. However, this isn't accessible through the current version of the API, which will only serve mappings to terms present in the current version of the vocabulary. Rectifying this is on the API development plan but putting times to this is tricky at the moment as Geoff is emigrating to Australia at the end of June.

Cheers, Roy.

>>> John Graybeal <graybeal at mbari.org> 4/10/2008 2:56 pm >>>
Martin,

Roy's approach is of course practical and I should have thought to suggest it myself.

I may have misstated things in my earlier communication with you. I should have said 'if a term changes on either side, you'd have to relink that term; or if you have pointed to a particular version and wanted to be more current, you would have to repoint to the new version.' While currently our OWL copies of the CF vocabulary are set up with respect to specific versions, it is also entirely possible to create a persisting relationship to a given term, if that needs to be supported. (It's like a link to the nytimes.com site -- whenever you visit the page, you get _today's_ copy of the paper, not the copy from the day the link was made.) You are obviously correct that this is most useful to many users.

Roy, could you clarify whether your vocabulary mapping service links to specific versions of a vocabulary, to a 'generic' vocabulary, or is it the user's choice?

As a general observation, I agree with Jonathan's architectural summary. It is possible to provide good and widely used mapping facilities from a central mapping service. It is much less likely that every community vocabulary provider (and there are many) can provide a wide variety of services that are needed by the vocabulary users.

John