⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] what standard names are for

From: Roy Lowry <rkl>
Date: Wed, 09 Apr 2008 20:42:12 +0100

Hi Martin,

I appreciate your pressures, but you need to understand the consequences of quick fixes through unmanaged XML schemas. I have been bitten so many times by approaches such as this that do not scale that (coming from Liverpool) I would sceam 'CALM DOWN!'

Cheers, Roy.

>>> "Schultz, Martin" <m.schultz at fz-juelich.de> 04/09/08 5:25 PM >>>
Dear all,

   although the subject has been changed I feel that this discussion has
been closely related to my recent question about adding extra tags in
the XML file and mdefining a way how these can survive. To ask again
much more specifically this time:
(1) who is maintaining the xml file (and the asociated syntax definiiton
file which I could not locate on the web)?
(2) if I would send an edited XML file which included <htap> tags to
contain the TFHTAP multi-model assessment variable names (just like it
is the case for <amip> at present) to the person named in (1): would
this xml file be further maintained and future updates would keep this
additional tag?

   If these two points can be satisfied, it would constitute a great
step forward for me to actually make use of the cf standard names and
other standards around it. And I believe that this will also proliferate
into many other international (atmospheric chemistry) modelling
initiatives, because many groups are involved in HTAP. If not, then I
fear that the HTAP community for example will quickly loose interest to
follow standard names as there will for a long time be no "super
software" that eliminates the need to know the actual variable names in
order to process the data.

Sorry for being somewhat pushy on this, but I need to get some work done
here.

Thanks and best regards,

Martin

Forschungszentrum Juelich GmbH
52425 Juelich

Sitz der Gesellschaft: Juelich
Dr. Ulrich Krafft (stellv. Vorsitzender), Prof. Dr. Harald Bolt,
Dr. Sebastian M. Schmidt