⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] Standard names for anomaly-type parameters

From: Jonathan Gregory <j.m.gregory>
Date: Wed, 2 Apr 2008 18:07:09 +0100

Dear Phil

> Yet is it not the case that the physical property described by the
> 'canonical' name and its associated 'anomaly' name is fundamentally
> the same? All that's changed is the use of a different reference datum
> (i.e. climatological mean instead of zero).
> So rather than create "_anomaly" variants of potentially hundreds of
> CF standard names, would an alternative solution be to add the term
> "anomaly" to the list of standard name modifiers (cf. Appendix C in CF
> spec)? In which case we'd be able to use names such as:
> "air_temperature anomaly"
> "lwe_precipitation_rate anomaly"
> "air_pressure_at_sea_level anomaly"
> and so on

Following an email thread started by Julian Hill, he and I also thought we
would propose exactly this, and I mentioned the proposal at the GO-ESSP meeting
in Paris last June. However it wasn't received enthusiastically. It is a bit
different in concept from the other standard_name modifiers, which are
generally intended for "fields of metadata" - standard errors and so on.
The anomaly of a quantity is arguably more of a different quantity altogether;
a time-interval, for instance, is a different thing from an absolute time.

I agree that in principle any quantity *could* be an anomaly, but in practice
are we *actually* going to need anomaly quantities for all of them (or a
fraction of them which is nearer 100% than 10%, say)? As you say, very few have
so far been needed. Perhaps we should decide on that kind of basis how to deal
with it.

Other views would be helpful.