⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] FW: new standard_names forvariables concerningseasurface waves

From: Pamment, JA <J.A.Pamment>
Date: Tue, 1 Apr 2008 13:11:24 +0100

Hi Nan, Roy and John,

Thanks all for your comments on this. I agree that the data variable
will give the information regarding what kind of waves are being
described, whether they be at the sea-surface, at the thermocline, or
indeed whether we are talking about something like electromagnetic
waves. If the situation arises where we clearly do need a more specific
frequency name, then one can always be introduced. I think we have
converged on the name 'wave_frequency' and I will make it an alias for
sea_surface_wave_frequency at the next update of the standard name
table.

Best wishes,
Alison

------
Alison Pamment Tel: +44 1235 778065
NCAS/British Atmospheric Data Centre Fax: +44 1235 446314
Rutherford Appleton Laboratory Email: J.A.Pamment at rl.ac.uk
Chilton, Didcot, OX11 0QX, U.K.

wave_frequency,