⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] standard name proposal for CCMVal

From: Jonathan Gregory <j.m.gregory>
Date: Thu, 6 Mar 2008 08:10:28 +0000

Dear Alison

Thank you for your thoughtful and clear summary. I noticed two small things
which I should have commented on before, but didn't notice then unfortunately.
It may be too late now, but anyway:

> mole_fraction_of_passive_ozone_in_air; 1; This is a tracer quantity
The definition at least should make clear what "passive" means in this context,
or (even better) would it be possible to use something more explicit? In an
ocean context, we might have a "passive salinity" tracer, for instance, which
would be one that did not affect density, but I don't suppose that would be
the same meaning of "passive" as in atmospheric chemistry. You can imagine
having a "passive" chemical tracer in the ocean, for which it could be
ambiguous what "passive" meant. So I fear this is potentially confusing.

> dynamic_tropopause_potential_temperature; K
I would suggest the order potential_temperature_at_dynamic_tropopause, for
consistency with the treatment of other multi-word "level" names.

Regarding
> mean_age_of_stratospheric_air
my understanding from the earlier discussion (subject to correction by experts)
is that in a Lagrangian model it would be a mean over the parcels in a gridbox,
but in an Eulerian model it is the concentration of an age tracer, and hence
in practice a volume-mean over the gridbox, just like most intensive quantities
(such as temperature). In either case the "mean" could be indicated by cell_
methods.

Cheers

Jonathan