⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] Need for standard name "ocean_pressure"?

From: Jonathan Gregory <j.m.gregory>
Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2008 08:22:09 +0000

Dear Rich and John

Your discussion has raised again, in a different context, the need for a term
meaning "sea, lake or river", which we have struggled with in another thread on
the email list, to avoid having to introduce separate parallel standard names.

Not all lakes are fresh, so fresh_water would not be quite right.

I think there's another issue in your discussion, which is that you want to
give a name to the measurement given by a sensor, possibly without reference to
the geophysical significance of that measurement viz just "pressure", which
might be in air or in water. Most standard names are for geophysical quantities
since CF was set up to supply metadata for geophysical datasets. However we
have got some others like this, such as the coordinates of a measurement
platform. I would suggest making it clear that the quantity is not geophysical
by giving it a standard name such as sensor_pressure or pressure_measured_by_
sensor. What do you think?

Cheers

Jonathan