⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] Fwd: Re: standard name proposal for CCMVal

From: Martin Juckes <m.n.juckes>
Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2008 09:40:06 +0000

Hello,

I'd like to respond to Jonathan's suggestion that the CCMVal names should use
atmosphere_moles_of_X instead of the proposed atmosphere_X_mole_burden.

It is not clear to me that atmosphere_moles_of_X is clearer in any way. There
is nothing in the name which says it is not the mole_fraction. This would be
clear to anyone who knows the standard name list in detail, but as far as the
name itself goes, it is not unambiguous. There is the same ambiguity in
atmosphere_X_mole_burden, but this has the advantage of matching existing
usage in a broad interdisciplinary community (IPCC). I do not know why the
report authors converged on burden as a term to refer to the quantity we are
discussing, they could just have easily used "moles of X in the atmosphere",
but given that they have I think there is a strong argument for following
their example (though using atmosphere instead of atmospheric for consistency
with existing practice in the standard name list),

cheers,
Martin