⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] hydrosphere

From: Jonathan Gregory <j.m.gregory>
Date: Tue, 5 Feb 2008 08:07:40 +0000

Dear Philip

> FWIW, I think of 'hydrosphere' as including ground water, clouds, and ice.

Ah.

> Is that what is intended here?

No, it is not mean to include groundwater or clouds. Ice is included if it is
frozen river, lake or sea water.

> Would 'water_bodies' work for ocean+sea+lakes+rivers ?

That's unfortunately not a phrase which would be obviously meaningful in
water_bodies_density, I think.

I fear this is a hopeless quest, which is why I suggested defining "sea" to
include lake and river in the context of CF standard names.