⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] Fwd: standard name proposal for CCMVal

From: Martin Juckes <m.n.juckes>
Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2008 17:51:46 +0000

http://cf-pcmdi.llnl.gov/documents/cf-conventions/1.1/cf-conventions.html#cell-methods

> I would appreciate Jonathan or someone confirming the above.

Jonathan did suggest something along these lines in an earlier discussion,
though I'm not sure if it was exactly equivalent. My main objection is that
the total amount of the substance in the atmosphere is independent of the
coordinates used. It appears to me to be asking rather a lot of the software
which will interpret the attributes to work out that a quantity defined in
terms of latitude and longitude is not in anyway dependent on them.

> It is true that we have adopted special standard names to indicate
> vertically integrated quantities ("content"), and so one could argue why
> not also adopt a special name ("burden") to integrate global amounts? I
> don't have a good answer, but my preference would be to avoid a new
> standard name for the integral of a quantity defined by another standard
> name unless we can come up with a compelling argument against this.

I certainly would not define burden as an integral of content. It should be
defined as the total amount in the atmosphere (sorry if this was misleading
in the submitted document). It's relationship to content is through the area
integral, but it is rather misses the point to define it that way.

We should also think a little of the user who is looking for atmospheric
budens as defined by the IPCC reports, i.e. global amounts. Such a user does
not want to check the metadata of gobal variables to find out whether the
data has been globally integrated or not. Of course, this problem will
disappear eventually, we hope, when all users search through intelligent
interfaces which know that a global integral indicated in the cell_methods
corresponds ot a common usage of burden -- but that may take some time.

cheers,
Martin