⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] various new standard names

From: Christiane.Textor at lsce.ipsl.fr <Christiane.Textor>
Date: Tue, 25 Dec 2007 19:56:54 +0100 (CET)

Dear Jonathan,

Two comments:

> By analogy with humidity_mixing_ratio, noting that a mass mixing
ratio > is not quite the same thing as a mass concentration:
> mass_mixing_ratio_of_ozone_in_air (1)

Yes, but "mass_fraction_of_ozone_in_air" exists and this is the same as
mass_mixing_ratio, so I think defining the name you suggest would
duplicate the variable.

> mass_fraction_of_convective_cloud_condensed_water_in_air
Does this include ice?

Best regards,
Christiane

Jonathan Gregory schrieb:
> Dear all
>
> I would like to propose the following assorted new standard names and
aliases.

> Happy Christmas and New Year
>
> Jonathan
>

> By analogy with upward_water_vapor_flux_in_air:
> surface_upward_water_vapor_flux_in_air (kg m-2 s-1)
>
> By analogy with atmosphere_cloud_condensed_water_content and the
corresponding
> mass_fraction names:
> atmosphere_convective_cloud_condensed_water_content (kg m-2)
> atmosphere_convective_cloud_liquid_water_content (kg m-2)
>
> By analogy with humidity_mixing_ratio, noting that a mass mixing ratio
is not
> quite the same thing as a mass concentration:
> mass_mixing_ratio_of_ozone_in_air (1)
>
> Names referring to loss of mass from sea ice or land ice, where it could
be
> either snow or ice which is being list, by analogy with
> surface_snow_melt_heat_flux and land_ice_basal_melt_rate:
> surface_snow_and_ice_melt_heat_flux (W m-2)
> surface_snow_and_ice_sublimation_flux (kg m-2 s-1)
>
> The part of the precipitation flux that reaches the ground directly
through
> the vegetative canopy, through intershrub spaces in the canopy, and as
drip
> from the leaves, twigs, and stems (but not including snowmelt) (based on
the
> AMetS glossary definition). The word "canopy" is already employed in
stdnames:
> canopy_throughfall_flux (kg m-2 s-1)
>
> Components of bolus velocity of sea water; the word "bolus" has already
been
> introduced for bolus transport names:
> bolus_eastward_sea_water_velocity (m s-1)
> bolus_northward_sea_water_velocity (m s-1)
> bolus_upward_sea_water_velocity (m s-1)
>
> By analogy with specific_kinetic_energy_of_air:
> specific_kinetic_energy_of_sea_water (m2 s-2)
>
> Tendencies of quantities which already have standard names. There is
already a
> standard name tendency_of_sea_ice_thickness_due_to_thermodynamics, so
due_to_dynamics is analogous. "Sea ice thermodynamics" refers to the
addition
> or subtraction of mass due to surface and basal fluxes. "Sea ice
dynamics"
> refers to the motion of sea ice. "Advection" is already in use for the
atmosphere and its use for the ocean is analogous. "Bolus advection" is
in use
> already. "Horizontal mixing" means any horizontal transport other than
by
> advection and bolus advection, usually represented as horizontal
diffusion in
> ocean models. "Vertical mixing" means any vertical transport other than
by
> advection and bolus advection, represented by a combination of vertical
diffusion, turbulent mixing and convection in ocean models:
> tendency_of_sea_ice_area_fraction_due_to_dynamics (s-1)
> tendency_of_sea_ice_area_fraction_due_to_thermodynamics (s-1)
> tendency_of_sea_ice_thickness_due_to_dynamics (m s-1)
> tendency_of_sea_water_temperature_due_to_advection (K s-1)
> tendency_of_sea_water_temperature_due_to_bolus_advection (K s-1)
tendency_of_sea_water_temperature_due_to_horizontal_mixing (K s-1)
tendency_of_sea_water_temperature_due_to_vertical_mixing (K s-1)
tendency_of_sea_water_salinity_due_to_advection (1e-3 s-1)
> tendency_of_sea_water_salinity_due_to_bolus_advection (1e-3 s-1)
tendency_of_sea_water_salinity_due_to_horizontal_mixing (1e-3 s-1)
tendency_of_sea_water_salinity_due_to_vertical_mixing (1e-3 s-1)
tendency_of_sea_water_salinity_due_to_sea_ice_thermodynamics (1e-3 s-1)
tendency_of_surface_snow_depth_due_to_sea_ice_dynamics (m s-1)
> tendency_of_surface_snow_depth_due_to_sea_ice_thermodynamics (m s-1)
>
> Rename mass_fraction_of_convective_condensed_water_in_air ->
> mass_fraction_of_convective_cloud_condensed_water_in_air, like
> mass_fraction_of_convective_cloud_liquid_water_in_air; I guess that
"cloud"
> was omitted by accident
>
> Rename the following recently introduced names. I think we put the parts
in
> the wrong order, by comparison with
> baroclinic_east|northward_sea_water_velocity and with names for
> x|y_velocities:
> surface_eastward_geostrophic_sea_water_velocity ->
surface_geostrophic_eastward_sea_water_velocity
> surface_eastward_geostrophic_sea_water_velocity_assuming_sea_level_for_geoid
->
surface_geostrophic_eastward_sea_water_velocity_assuming_sea_level_for_geoid
> surface_northward_geostrophic_sea_water_velocity ->
surface_geostrophic_northward_sea_water_velocity
> surface_northward_geostrophic_sea_water_velocity_assuming_sea_level_for_geoid
->
surface_geostrophic_northward_sea_water_velocity_assuming_sea_level_for_geoid

Christiane Textor
Unite Mixte de Recherche CEA-CNRS-UVSQ
LSCE/IPSL, CEA Saclay, Orme des Merisiers,
Bat. 701, Piece 3b, Point Courrier 129
F-91191 Gif-sur-Yvette Cedex
FRANCE
mailto: christiane.textor at lsce.ipsl.fr
Tel ++33 1 69 08 34 07 Fax ++33 1 69 08 77 16
GEOMON scientific project manager http://www.geomon.eu