⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] Standard names for ocean parameters

From: Olivier Lauret <olauret>
Date: Fri, 7 Dec 2007 18:04:04 +0100

Dear CF community,

I'd like to propose you new standard names. Among them there is one that I
am not sure and I need your opinion: I need a standard name for ocean mean
dynamic topography.

As it amounts to a statistical operation applied on a parameter I am not
sure if, or not, I have to use the standard_name attribute corresponding to
this parameter (sea_surface_height_above_geoid) adding something like
"cell_methods = "lat: mean lon: mean". My doubts are coming from that this
parameter is representing a mean ocean state/situation, and (absolutely) not
the mean operator applied on a grid cell. Thus I'm feeling inclined to add a
standard_name like "mean_sea_surface_height_above_geoid". I believe this is
not the only example of such situation in ocean and climate world. What is
your opinion on this? (I read that you are working on "cell_methods" task at
the moment)

The other standard name attributes I'd like to introduce are the following:

. ocean_vertical_eddy_diffusivity, m2/s

. sea_ice_x_velocity_where_sea_ice , m/s

. sea_ice_y_velocity_where_sea_ice, m/s

. sea_ice_area_fraction_where_sea_ice, no units

. sea_ice_thickness_where_sea_ice, m

. sea_ice_downward_x_stress_where_sea_ice, Pa

. sea_ice_downward_y_stress_where_sea_ice , Pa

Thank you,

Olivier.

LogoCLS_haut

Olivier Lauret

CLS - Space Oceanography Division

Products Dissemination Dpt

8-10 rue Hermes, 31520 Ramonville St.Agne

France

Tel. (+33) (0) 561 39 48 51

Fax:(+33) (0) 561 39 47 80

http://www.cls.fr <http://www.cls.fr/>