⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] Re. chemicals and aerosols

From: Roy Lowry <rkl>
Date: Wed, 07 Nov 2007 08:22:31 +0000

Hi Alison,

I totally agree with Philip. We have to strike a balance between discussing/defining absolute best practice and the requirements of the CF user community to be able to get on with their work. The semantic model is a case in point - something we can aspire to, but in no way should it be become a blocker to standard name allocation. The essential thing as Jonatahn says is to ensure that the definitions of the terms are as accurate and as complete as we can make them.

Cheers, Roy.

>>> "Philip J. Cameron-smith" <cameronsmith1 at llnl.gov> 11/6/2007 7:14 pm >>>

Hi Alison,

I wouldn't worry about isomers at this point. You are absolutely correct
that xylene has three structural isomers, and they are a bit different
chemically. However, there are different sorts of isomer, including
isotopic isomers, that will apply to many or all of these species.

The good news is that it is generally assumed that if nothing is specified
then a chemical name includes all of the isomers. Of course, it would be
good to state that in a comment somewhere so that there can be no doubt.

On the issue of ozone GROSS production and loss which I raised in
(http://www.cgd.ucar.edu/pipermail/cf-metadata/2007/001788.html) I am
conflicted. This is a useful and commonly reported variable, but the
definition is not universally agreed upon. In practice, experts generally
use definitions that are within the same ball-park as each other, but an
outside user could be led astray, and judicious care needs to be used when
comparing figures from different models. Whether this is enough to
stop it being accepted by CF, I don't know.

I also spotted a trivial typo: there was a space instead of an underscore
in
"tendency_of_atmosphere_mole_concentration_of_methane_due_to_chemical_gro
ss destruction"

Best wishes,

      Philip