⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] Fwd: Two-variable integer Time in CF? (V. Balaji)

From: V. Balaji <V.Balaji>
Date: Fri, 02 Nov 2007 10:58:56 -0400 (EDT)

David Stuebe writes:

> I support Rich and Balaji in creating a two integer time standard. I think
> the tick_length as a attribute is a great idea for non-rational times, and I
> agree with Rich that the major unit should be specified by the user - Days,
> Second, Hours, Years etc...

I would still prefer if the major unit were not calendar- (or planet-:-)
specific -- seconds, minutes and hours are universal constants and
should be the only ones allowed -- but hey, I'll go with the flow.

Just to be clear: the 'tick' allows you to be precise about fractions
of time units, but not 'non-rational' times: 1/3 second is rational. To
be equally clear, all floating-point numbers are rational, so I don't
think this is an issue. If you really need a model with a timestep of
'pi' seconds, I think you have a problem anyway, with or without CF...

--
V. Balaji                               Office:  +1-609-452-6516
Head, Modeling Systems Group, GFDL      Home:    +1-212-253-6662
Princeton University                    Email: v.balaji at noaa.gov