⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] URNs

From: Philip Bentley <philip.bentley>
Date: Thu, 04 Oct 2007 10:31:12 +0100

Hi Seth

I don't think we should assume that a URN necessarily needs to be
resolvable (referenceable?) across the internet in order for a software
application to work with it. If an application 'understands' the meaning
of a particular URN then all's well.

It would be perfectly feasible for an organisation to maintain a local
cache of URNs, perhaps updated from the central authority on a periodic
basis. In a way, this is exactly what geospatial solutions such as ESRI
ArcGIS and Oracle Spatial do already. These products maintain copies of
the OGC CRS entities in local text files and/or rdbms tables. The CRS
entities are sufficiently slow-changing to make this a practical
solution.

Reductio ad absurdum, one could even hard-code URNs into a software
application that needs them, but I don't think this approach would find
many advocates!

Cheers

--Phil