⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] CF-1.0 registration of new names for SST

From: Shawn R. Smith <smith>
Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2007 14:35:10 -0400

Hello Derrick and Craig,

Derrick you are dealing with one of the huge problems in terms of
both metadata and data reporting in regards to TSG water
temperatures. Working with the Shipboard Automated Meteorological and
Oceanographic System (SAMOS) initiative, we have the same problem. My
current understanding is that to accurately document and evaluate
these water temperatures you need the following data:

water temperature at the intake (your remote sensor)
water temperature in the TSG
flow rate of water in pipe

Useful metadata include:
length of pipe from intake to TSG
depth of the intake
whether or not the pipe runs through heated ship space

Now for some reality. We only have 2 of 12 SAMOS ships reporting both
a remote and TSG water temperature. Most have yet to supply us with
an intake depth. One does report the flow rate to the TSG. We still
have a ways to go to standardize these measurements and the reporting.

As for the depth to report each measurement, I would agree with Craig
that the remote sensor is definitely at the intake depth. I would
also argue that the best depth to report the TSG would also be at the
intake depth. What else would you use? The water was pulled from that
depth. Sure the potential heating of the water before it reaches the
TSG is a problem, but if you have both the TSG and intake
temperatures, users can correct for this difference. We will not even
go into the fact that on a moving ship the intake depth varies
depending on sea conditions. I think the important thing to remember
is that the depth is an "estimate", but that an estimate is better
than no depth at all.

Cheers,

Shawn

At 7:12 PM +0100 8/15/07, Craig Donlon wrote:
>Hi Derrick:
>If you are intending to report data then the WMO Ship Observing Team
>adopted the GHRSST-PP SST definitions. In tis case, your TSG data
>would be reported as SST at depth using an attribute to specifiy the
>depth of the TSG water intake. As a physical contact themometer
>measurement, you are always going to be reporting SST depth and that
>should be at the intake depth. The issue of warming within the ship
>is a separate one form this debate and one that each installation
>should try and minimise. Shawn Smith can assist you in thee issues.
>
>If there is no depth reported with the SST the data are considerably
>less useful especially for ocean modelling as the number of model
>levels in the upper ocean is generally increasing as computing power
>increases (and for air-sea interactionarehave his resolution in the
>vertical)
>
>Regards,
>Craig
>
>On 8/15/07, Derrick.Snowden at noaa.gov <Derrick.Snowden at noaa.gov> wrote:
>> Dear all,
>>
>> I'm not in a position to weigh in on the debate or propose
>>solutions but I do have a question as one project I work on seems
>>related to this thread. This project is NOAA's Thermosalinograph
>>program and in this program we aim to install TSGs on commercial
>>vessels as well as provide the data management support for TSG data
>>from the NOAA research fleet. My question is basically how TSG
>>data figures in to this discussion and how we should refer to it in
>>our exchange formats. (CF or COARDS compliant netcdf is likely to
>>be adopted by the international committee concerned with exchange
>>of TSG data)
>>
>> In principle temperature from a TSG shout every ship. It's
>>possible that the fluid will flow through pipes in the engine room
>>for a minuld probably be reported as SSTz but the z is debatable.
>>For example, most ships have seawater intake pipes between 3-20m
>>but the location of the TSG relative to the intake differs on
>>almoste before reaching the sensor, during which time it is usually
>>heating. To address this issue, we've begun installing remote
>>temperature sensors designed to be nearer to the intake. This
>>lessens but doesn't remove the problem of defining a depth for the
>>SST measurement. Further, in cases where the remote sensor exists,
>>we have two temperature measurements on each ship both of which
>>must be kept in archives. The local temperature at the TSG is used
>>for the determination of salinity from conductivity and the remote
>>temperature seems more relevant to studying the physics of the
>>ocean.
> >
>> I should mention that GOSUD, the Global Ocean Surface Underway
>>Data committee is dealing with metadata issues, but GOSUD has not
>>really made a determination about issues pertinent to CF, so far as
>>I know. Does anyone care to comment on this? I'd love to hear any
> [...]

Mr. Shawn R. Smith
Research Meteorologist
Director, R/V Data and FSU Winds Center
Center for Ocean Atmospheric Prediction Studies
Florida State University		| (850) 644-6918 (voice)
Tallahassee, FL 32306-2840     USA	| (850) 644-4841 (fax)
				| Email: smith at coaps.fsu.edu
For tracked/express mail please send to:
236 RM Johnson Bldg.
2035 E. Paul Dirac Dr.
Tallahassee, FL 32310
SAMOS web page: samos.coaps.fsu.eu