⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] CF-metadata Digest, Vol 53, Issue 5

From: Joe Sirott <Joe.Sirott>
Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2007 10:42:29 -0700

Hi John,

My experience has been that it's difficult to force a set of in-situ
observations into a netCDF file, no matter what conventions are used.
It's difficult to read and difficult to write and whenever I have to
deal with this type of netCDF file I always end up yelling at my computer.

An alternative approach is to package a set of individual netCDF files
(each representing one profile or time series, using the existing CF
convention) into an uncompressed jar or zip file. It's a lot easier to
deal with and no new CF attributes or names are required. It works well
with large datasets (I've used this convention successfully to package
several million observations from the World Ocean Database 2005 for use
in our Dapper/DChart server).

Perhaps this could be considered by CF as an alternative to packaging
the observations into one netCDF file.

Joe