⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] Seeking example program for storing surface obs in?CF?convention

From: Jonathan Gregory <j.m.gregory>
Date: Thu, 9 Aug 2007 18:32:17 +0100

Dear John

> The _CoordinateAxisType enumeration is intended to be a complete listing of georeferencing axis types. We use them instead of parsing the units, looking for "positive", looking for standard names, and the other ways of identifying coordinate axes that have evolved out of COARDS/CF. They are for sure redundant to all of that.

That is exactly the purpose of the CF axis attribute (which is also redundant
with the units etc., as you say, but convenient).

> Anyway, it would be great to get some other heads onto this, especially those who have written or need to write this kind of point observation data. If we can get 3 or 4 interested parties, we could put together a real proposal for CF.

I agree. At present I think the main need is the one about the structure of
efficient storage. Some of your other points are discovery metadata; there is
a question of how/whether to deal with that in CF, given that there are other
initiatives for discovery metadata. However, for use metadata, I am very much
in favour of adding to CF rather than developing separate conventions, because
there is likely to be a great deal (in fact, the majority) of metadata in
common.