⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] new chemical species

From: Pascoe, S <S.Pascoe>
Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2007 14:46:04 +0100

I am very glad the danger of standard name explosion is being addressed on this list. I have been following the aerosol discussion for some time with the concern that the standard name system isn't going to scale to the complexity of the atmospheric chemistry I am familiar with.

The atmospheric chemical kinetics community work with considerably more detailed chemistry than CF could currently support. In particular the Leeds Master Chemical Mechanism (http://mcm.leeds.ac.uk/MCM) contains over 5,600 species representing the reaction of organic species in the troposphere. The mechanism, or subsets thereof, are routinely used in box and trajectory modelling and therefore adopting a standard such as CF would be a considerable benefit to us. However I think we can all appreciate the standard name system isn't going to scale to this level of complexity.

I have other concerns about the standard name system. "Standard names" are beginning to be more like "Standard phrases". As well as becoming more unwieldy to use I believe this will inevitably lead to ambiguity creeping in as names are constructed by more and more complex rules. The amount of discussion that is already generated by name proposals is indicative.

I think Roy's suggestion of an ontological approach has great merit. It isn't an easy option, in that developing formal ontologies is a complex task, but it acknowledges the true magnitude of the metadata problem we have.

Cheers,
Stephen.

---
Stephen Pascoe  +44 (0)1235 445980