⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] CF-1.0 registration of new names for SST

From: Jonathan Gregory <j.m.gregory>
Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2007 15:53:35 +0100

Dear all

I am perfectly happy with naming them as skin and subskin temperatures if that
is how we are to regard them principally. This is like SST, which has been
measured in various ways (buckets and engine intakes), but is always regarded
as the same quantity. On the other hand, if they are uniquely associated with
a *method* of measurement, they can still have standard names, but those names
should mention the method. I see no problem with giving standard names to
instrument-dependent quantities, since they are data which people want to
describe properly and compare between datasets, and those are the purposes of
standard names. We certainly can also record other info like the wavelength
in comments (non-standardised) or coordinate variables.