⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] CF-1.0 registration of new names for SST

From: Olivier Lauret <olauret>
Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2007 11:45:38 +0200

Of course no problem Alison,

Actually I was not totally sure that I got all e-mails on this topic and if
I was registered on the good CF mailing-list..Hereafter my feelings about
this discussion:

-->foundation_sea_surface_temperature
I prefer the second approach suggested by Alison and Jonathan, i.e:
"sea_surface_temperature_at_diurnal_thermocline_base"
It is (I think) more consistent with both the physical meaning of this
quantity and the way standard names are build, isn't it?

-->SST_depth, sea_surface_temperature_at_depth_z
I agree with Alison point of view, "sea_water_temperature" exists and in
principle may fit to this part of SST measurement.

-->sub-skin_sea_surface_temperature
-->skin_layer_sea_surface_temperature
Jonathan suggested to use "sea_water_temperature" and distinguish by the
depth. I personnaly prefer keeping the "layer" point of view, I think the
physical meaning for oceanographers remains clear, and that the layer
notion is really important both in meteorology and oceanography:
troposphere/tropopause, thermocline etc etc. Some CF standard names are
already based on some layers; I'm affraid if we define variables only
regarding to the z coordinate we loose an important aspect of Earth
sciences: the scale notion, which is usually the base of our approach.
I'd rather that we introduce the standard names as modified by Alison:
"sea_surface_temperature_in_subskin_layer" and
"sea_surface_temperature_in_skin_layer"

-->interface_sea_surface_temperature
I agree with Alison, "surface_temperature" is already provided by standard
names table and could fit.

Maybe a feedback from GHRSST-PP science team would be interesting.

Greetings

Olivier.

Olivier Lauret

CLS Space Oceanography Division