⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] Using "axis" with curvilinear coordinates

From: Simon Wood <simon.wood>
Date: Fri, 06 Jul 2007 14:45:24 +1200

Hi Seth,

> I'm wondering how to properly apply the 'axis' attribute to coordinate
> variables in a curvilinear/two-dimensional coordinate system.

There was quite a big discussion about this a few months back, the
results of which are summarized by this posting from Jonathan Gregory:
http://www.cgd.ucar.edu/pipermail/cf-metadata/2006/001432.html. I
believe this was agreed to (I thought there was a trac ticket but can't
seem to find it now --?)

> My question is, which variables is it appropriate to define an 'axis'
> attribute with the value "X" for: xc, lon, both, or neither?

My understanding is that it is correct (but optional) to define it for
'xc', whereas it would be incorrect to define it for 'lon' in your example.

HTH

slw

--
Simon Wood