⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] proposed rules for changes to CF conventions

From: Karl Taylor <taylor13>
Date: Thu, 05 Jul 2007 12:26:16 -0700

Dear all,

I have finally had a chance to read the lively discussion of this topic.
    I vote in favor of Jonathan's modified proposal, but with
consideration given to the following:

1) The revisions proposed today by Jonathan in response to Steve
Hankin's concerns should be included.

2) Correct the inadvertently repeated phrase "in one in one".

3) Producing a netCDF file that includes a proposed change may not be
entirely trivial, and I fear it might hold up the process. Whose
responsibility will it be to do this? Some ideas might be proposed by
individuals who have never actually written any code that makes calls to
the netCDF library. I therefore suggest that the moderator could make
the summary (3 weeks after proposal, or 2 weeks after no contributions)
*before* requiring a netCDF file. [Certainly this should be allowed if
no support has been received or if little interest has been expressed in
a proposal.] I therefore recommend the following wording:

"After four weeks from the proposal, or two weeks of no contributions,
whichever is longer, the moderator attempts to move toward a decision on
the proposal by summarising the outcome. Since several versions of the
proposal might have been discussed, the summary should make clear which
one, if any, would be adopted. The moderator will then invite further
comment on the proposal, as summarized. If at this point a test netCDF
file does not yet exist, it must be created (unless the summary suggests
the proposal should be rejected). Once this has been done and after two
weeks of no contributions to the discussion, a decision is reached in
one of the following ways:"

4) I'm not sure why there is a desire to include the clause "although
some may be guided by the expertise of others." I would drop it. I
would guess that in nearly all decisions the committee members will
weigh both the technical arguments made and the regard they have for the
individual making the argument in deciding whether to support a
proposal. In this sense we all will be guided to some degree by the
expertise of others. Perhaps the entire sentence could be eliminated
(i.e., drop "All members must vote, although some may be guided by the
expertise of others.").

5) Perhaps we should also include a mechanism whereby a provisional
change could be withdrawn even if it were not technically flawed. It is
possible that upon further reflection or in working with the new CF
specification, the testers might realize that there is a much better way
of doing it. Wouldn't it be better to replace the provisional change
with the superior one? I suggest the following wording:

"At this point, the change is shown in the CF documents as provisional,
but it will not be revoked unless subsequent testing shows it to be
flawed. In rare circumstances, unforeseen objections or problems may be
identified that could lead the standards committee to decide by
unanimous opinion to revoke the provisional change."

6) Do we have any guarantees that those expected to test proposed
changes using the CF checker and libcf will have the resources (i.e.,
time) to do this in a reasonable time frame?

Hope some of this is useful in finalizing the proposed rules.

Thanks for all the work,
Karl