⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] standard names for sea ice with qualifier

From: Jonathan Gregory <j.m.gregory>
Date: Wed, 4 Jul 2007 17:00:43 +0100

Dear Knut

> Using cell_methods to do this sounds fine to me, and sounds much more
> flexible.
Good. I am glad you think so.

> How would a cell method look for something
> like "sea_ice_thickness_where_sea_ice"?
I am not sure exactly, but something like "area: mean over sea_ice". A
proposal will come soon!

> It could probably be used to describe sea-ice thickness distributions as well
I tend to think that is something a bit different. A pdf is a new quantity,
with new units (m-1 instead of m), so should have a different standard name.
The pdf would be a data variable with a coord variable of sea_ice_thickness.