⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] "positive" attribute

From: John Graybeal <graybeal>
Date: Thu, 28 Jun 2007 09:17:36 -0700

Three (5?) cents:

The idea that you can make data self-describing solely by dint of its name is noble, but (it seems to me) undercut by the existence of the Attributes. Among other things.

A practice that doesn't scale will eventually be eliminated, whether by revolution or evolution. I prefer revolution myself, given the choice; but given that revolution is not possible for compatibility reasons, would encourage evolution now, to avoid worse outcomes later.

The base lists are already sufficiently inconsistent that exceptions (read: mapping) will be necessary for modeling; this is in the nature of following a "don't look forward" philosophy. (Not meant as a criticism, but to illustrate why inconsistencies will continue to happen.)

So my wish is to handle directions as an attribute going forward, and make them required for future cases if you feel that is necessary to make sure they are provided when necessary.

I also have the broader suggestion that CF start thinking about the concept of 'deprecated' with respect to CF terms, to cover practices that are no longer deemed desirable but which are still supported for backward compatibility reasons. In this manner CF won't break but users will be encouraged toward best practices.

John

--
John Graybeal   <mailto:graybeal at mbari.org>  -- 831-775-1956