⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] proposed rules for changes to CF conventions

From: Steve Hankin <Steven.C.Hankin>
Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2007 14:58:53 -0700

Hi Jonathan,

A concern that does not seem to have been captured in these procedures
is the possibility that the proposal receives insufficient attention of
any kind -- pro or con. The proposed text says, "It is expected that
everyone with an interest will contribute ...". But if they do not
contribute, what then? In its most extreme scenario the proposed
process would be satisfied if a single conventions committee member made
a proposal; got no response; announced an intent to close at 4 weeks;
and proclaimed the proposal accepted 2 weeks later.

I've tried to address this concern with the mark-up below -- offset by
"**" delimiters. The numbers "[n]" are just my own first best estimate ...

    - Steve

============

    New proposals to be made on trac using the template, including verbatim changes
    proposed to the text of standard document and the conformance document.

    A member of the conventions committee, or another suitably qualified person,
    volunteers to moderate the discussion. If no-one volunteers, the chairman of
    the committee will ask someone to do it.

    The discussion takes place on trac.

    The moderator periodically summarises discussion on trac, keeps it moving
    forward and tries to achieve a consensus. It is ***required that at least [3] individuals, including the moderator be active in the process of finding consensus*** during this stage.

    After four weeks from the proposal, or two weeks of no contributions,
    whichever is longer, the moderator attempts to wind up the discussion by
    summarising the outcome. The summary should make clear which version of the
    proposal would be adopted, since several may have been discussed.

    *** If fewer than [5] individuals, the minimum number required, have actively participated in the consensus process and the moderator wishes to move the issue to closure he/she may ask the chair to recruit members of the conventions committee into active participation in the discussion in order to bring the number of participants in the consensus process up to the required minimum.***

    After a
    further two weeks of no contributions,the discussion is concluded and the
    trac ticket closed by the moderator stating the outcome, which should follow
    these rules:

    No outstanding objection Accept proposal
    Near consensus Accept proposal if all, or all but one, of the
                                 conventions committee vote in favour of it.
    Not near consensus No change to standard

    (NB These rules are different from the ToRs in the white paper, which allowed
    a simple majority to decide. The discussion in Paris indicated that all
    members should vote, but should be guided by other members where they don't
    consider themselves to have the right expertise.)

    If a change is accepted, the standard document should be updated, the CF
    convention version number incremented, and the conformance document updated.

    The author of the proposal should be added to the list of contributing authors
    of the CF convention.

    At this point, the change is shown in the document as provisional, but it will
    not be revoked unless subsequent testing shows it to be flawed. Provisional
    status lasts until the Unidata ***libcf*** and the NCAS CF checker have both
    successfully interpreted some data following the new convention.

    Once this has been done, the document should again be updated to remove the
    provisional status, and the version number incremented again.

    All versions of the standard and conformance document should be kept available
    online, with their trac tickets and a history of changes.