⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] CF standard names for geostrophic current grids

From: Olivier Lauret <olauret>
Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2007 14:22:02 +0200

Dear all,

There is something that remains vague to me about the vector components:
you have the possibility to use "northward/eastward"component instead of
"x/y" component. I thought in the beginning that talking about the "x
component" of a vector occurs only in situation like curvilinear
coordinates, but the CF table seems to recomand to refer to x (or y)
component when "x" (or y) is not true longitude (latitude).

Because the components within my netCDF file are on a grid that is changing
with latitude, I suppose that using "northward/eastward" terms to describe
my geostrophic velocity fields is erroneous. In that case I would need to
complete the geostrophic velocity names already available in the table by
adding some new standard names:

In CF table:
>surface_eastward_geostrophic_sea_water_velocity (m s-1)
>surface_northward_geostrophic_sea_water_velocity (m s-1)
>surface_eastward_geostrophic_sea_water_velocity_assuming_sea_level_for_geoid
>(m s-1)
>surface_northward_geostrophic_sea_water_velocity_assuming_sea_level_for_geoid
>(m s-1)

new ones would be respectively:

>surface_x_geostrophic_sea_water_velocity (m s-1)
>surface_y_geostrophic_sea_water_velocity (m s-1)
>surface_x_geostrophic_sea_water_velocity_assuming_sea_level_for_geoid (m s-1)
>surface_y_geostrophic_sea_water_velocity_assuming_sea_level_for_geoid (m s-1)

What is the opinion of the CF community about that?

Thank you.

Olivier.

Olivier Lauret

CLS Space Oceanography Division