⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] new standard names proposal for CEOP-II model ouput

From: Pamment, JA <J.A.Pamment>
Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2007 14:40:50 +0100

Hello Takuya,

Thanks for your proposals. Please see below for my responses.

> Dear CF-metadata,
>
> I am Takuya Sakashita in Japan Meteorological Agency and am charged
with
> CEOP-II model output location time series (MOLTS).
> Now, I (in discussion with Beate Gayer) would like to propose new
standard
> names for CEOP-II MOLTS outputs as follows:

I think the following names are all fine as proposed, including the
definitions you have given:

> #standard name, long name, units
> canopy_temperature, Temperature of canopy, K
where temperature is the bulk temperature of the canopy.

> surface_brightness_temperature, Brightness temperature at surface, K
where surface means the lower boundary of the atmosphere.

> volume_fraction_of_condensed_water_in_soil_pore, Soil wetness, 1
defined as
> the volume ratio of soil condensed water (liquid and ice) to porosity
of
> the soil.

> tendency_of_specific_humidity_due_to_large_scale_precipitation,
Tendency
> of
> specific humidity due to large scale precipitation, s-1
> The standard name "tendency_of_specific_humidity_due_to_convection"
> already exists.
> "tendency_of_specific_humidity_due_to_large_scale_precipitation"
indicates
> one term (large scale precipitation) of derivative of specific
humidity
> with respect to time.

> tendency_of_mass_fraction_of_cloud_condensed_water_in_air, Tendency of
> mass
> fraction of cloud condensed water, s-1
> The standard name

"tendency_of_mass_fraction_of_cloud_condensed_water_in_air_due_to_advect
io
> n"
> already exists.
> "tendency_of_mass_fraction_of_cloud_condensed_water_in_air" indicates
> derivative of
> mass fraction of cloud condensed water with respect to time not only
by
> advection but sum of all terms.

There is one other proposal:

> condensed_water_per_unit_volume_in_soil, Condensed water in unit
volume of
> soil, kg m-3
defined as
> the amount of condensed water (liquid and ice) contained in unit
volume of
> soil (not content in soil layer but amount per unit volume).

For this name I would suggest we use
mass_concentration_of_condensed_water_in_soil. "Mass concentration" is
used in one or two other standard names and means "mass per unit volume"
which is exactly as you describe. Is that OK?

Best wishes,
Alison

> Thanks for your help.
>
> Best Regards,
> Takuya Sakashita
> Numerical prediction division
> Japan Meteorological Agency

------
Alison Pamment Tel: +44 1235 778065
NCAS/British Atmospheric Data Centre Fax: +44 1235 446314
Rutherford Appleton Laboratory Email: J.A.Pamment at rl.ac.uk
Chilton, Didcot, OX11 0QX, U.K.