⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] Fwd: Re: approval of standard_names for aerosols and chemistry for HTAP

From: Jonathan Gregory <j.m.gregory>
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2007 18:05:44 +0100

Dear Christiane and Alison

> > chemical_gross_production_rate_of_X_of_Y
> > chemical_net_production_rate_of_X_of_Y
> >
> My understanding was that Jonathan was suggesting names of the form:
> tendency_of_atmospheric_X_of_Y_due_to_chemical_gross_production|destruction
> tendency_of_atmospheric_X_of_Y_due_to_chemical_net_production|destruction

Yes, I was suggesting that, but really it was Christiane's idea in the
first place. As Alison says, starting with "tendency" is consistent with
other names.

> I agree that emissions from the surface are a subset of total emissions into
> the atmosphere.
Yes.

> >unchanged:
> >surface_dry_deposition_X_flux_of_Y
> >surface_wet_deposition_X_flux_of_Y
> >surface_emission_X_flux_of_Y
Yes.

Identifying the reactions is a new complexity! I'd be inclined to think the
most obvious thing would be to replace due_to_chemical_gross_production with a
due_to identifying the chemical reaction. However, as you say, if we have a
large number of these, an extra dimension could be used. As usual I would
suggest that we devise a solution when we have some concrete cases to consider.