⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] approval of standard_names for aerosols and chemistry for HTAP

From: Christiane Textor <christiane.textor>
Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2007 10:38:44 +0100

Dear Jonathan,

Indeed, I completely dropped the emission discussion, sorry for that!

My current proposal is

atmosphere_emission_mass_flux_of_X
atmosphere_production_mass_flux_of_X

These names for emisions are complementory to
surface_dry/wet_deposition_mass_flux

I agree with your idea of using the term 'tendency' for emissions, but
then we should also use it for other processes, which is a very good
idea. I would suggest the following names:

tendency_of_atmospheric_X_of_Y_due_to_emissions
tendency_of_atmospheric_X_of_Y_due_to_dry_deposition
tendency_of_atmospheric_X_of_Y_due_to_wet_deposition

X mass-,number-,mole-concentration/fraction for 3d fields
X mass-,number-,mole-content for vertically integrated 2 d fields
Y species

This would possibly require an explanation as the tendency of the last
two are always negative (sinks), but usuallly reported in positive numbers.

The old name
atmosphere_production_mass_flux_of_X
would become
tendency_of_atmospheric_X_of_Y_due_to_chemical_production

This principle should then also be used for chemical loss:
tendency_of_atmospheric_X_of_Y_due_to_chemical_destruction

and as a consequence would change the old names for chemical production
and loss rates, which are at the moment like this:
chemical_gross_production_rate_of_X_of_Y
chemical gross production of Y

chemical_net_production_rate_of_X_of_Y
chemical net production of ozone from all reactions (prod-loss)

We could have
gross_tendency_of_atmospheric_X_of_Y_due_to_chemical_destruction
net_tendency_of_atmospheric_X_of_Y_due_to_chemical_destruction

gross_tendency_of_atmospheric_X_of_Y_due_to_chemical_production
net_tendency_of_atmospheric_X_of_Y_due_to_chemical_production

To specify the prod/loss due to specific reactions, we could define a
dimension indicating a specific reaction using
tendency_of_atmospheric_X_of_Y_due_to_chemical_destruction
with the dimension indicating a specif reaction in characters?

Cheers,
Christiane

Jonathan Gregory a ?crit :

>>>The updated names are atmosphere_emission_mass_flux_of_X, there is no
>>>surface.
>>
>>It sounds a bit strange to me to call it a flux when it isn't passing through
>>a surface.
>

> I wonder whether you would consider calling these tendency_of_atmosphere_
> content_of_X_due_to_emission? I understand "emission" to include both emission
> through the surface, and into the volume of the atmosphere.
>
> Best wishes

Christiane Textor
Service d'A?ronomie INSU CNRS, Tour 46, RDC # 2
Universit? Pierre et Marie Curie, Boite 102
4 place Jussieu
75252 Paris C?dex 05
France
Tel: ++33 1.44.27.21.82