⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] Standard name table update - 13th March 2007

From: Pamment, JA <J.A.Pamment>
Date: Wed, 7 Mar 2007 10:13:11 -0000

Dear All,

The next update of the standard name table will take place on the second

Tuesday in March, that is, the 13th. Apologies for any confusion caused
by
previously advertised incorrect dates.

There are only one or two changes on this occasion, given that the table
was
updated very recently. There remain a number of open discussion threads
on
proposals for standard names - these will be addressed in a separate
post.
I expect that several of these threads can be resolved in time for the
table
update due on 8 May.

1. Names to be included: toa_net_downward_longwave_flux; Wm-2
Although there is no downward flux of longwave radiation at the top of
the
atmosphere, this name would allow to have a set of consistent names for
all
the fluxes in forecasts carried out by the European coupled models,
which
consider all the fluxes being positive downwards. Proposed by Francisco
Doblas-Reyes (Paco).

2. Correction to units for two names
Richard Gorman has advised me as follows:
> In September you informed us of some additions to the standard names
> table. Checking the table, I see that these included
>
> sea_surface_wave_directional_variance_spectral_density
> with units m2 s-1 rad-1 and
> sea_surface_wave_variance_spectral_density
> with units m2 s-1
>
> I believe that these should be m2 s rad-1 and m2 s, respectively.
> Integrating the variance spectral density over frequency (units s-1)
> should give a sea level variance (units m2).

The units will be changed accordingly.

Best wishes,
Alison

------
Alison Pamment Tel: +44 1235 778065
NCAS/British Atmospheric Data Centre Fax: +44 1235 446314
Rutherford Appleton Laboratory Email: J.A.Pamment at rl.ac.uk
Chilton, Didcot, OX11 0QX, U.K.