⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] some concerns about the "ensemble axis" proposal

From: Jon Blower <jdb>
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2007 18:32:26 +0000

Hi all,

I haven't followed this discussion closely either I'm afraid but I do
remember a conversation I had with a few people at a geospatial data
workshop a while ago. I think we had agreed between us that
"ensemble" was *not* a meaningful dimension, because there is no
concept of direction along an ensemble axis and no meaningful way to
subset along this axis. Ensemble members are likely to be stored in
different NetCDF files (I think) and therefore an ensemble dimension
would have to be aggregated across files.

Having said this, I can see some advantages in the concept of an
ensemble dimension from a data modelling point of view but it doesn't
seem to translate into a practical use in data storage or data
extraction. I would say that a standard attribute identifying the
ensemble member in a file was more appropriate, but I haven't thought
about this issue as much as others clearly have.

Just my $0.02.

Jon