⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] some concerns about the "ensemble axis" proposal

From: Kettleborough, Jamie <jamie.kettleborough>
Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2007 12:58:07 +0000

Hello Steve, Balaji,

I think there are two problems here...

Problem 1) Representation of geo-referenced probability distribution
functions, e.g. the probability distribution of bath tub vortex strength
as a function of latitude. (Not necessarily about models, not
necessarily about forecasts). In particular the representation based on
a set of sample points, where not all sample points have the same
'weight'.

In CF context this could be time sampled, BUT we also have to take into
account the fact that there are other ways of sampling - which include
running lots of models.

Problem 2) model ensemble aggregations - which can be a special case of
the first problem - but only after the models have been re-gridded in
some way onto the same grid (space and time).

You think that we can not deal with Problem 2) in a general sense under
NetCDF-3 and CF-1. Do you think we can still make progress with Problem
1? (I think/hope we can - I know I still have some use cases to write
out.) This case can be accommodated under the NetCDF-3 data model - it
does, however, introduce that 5th dimension.

Jamie