⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] Fwd: Question about Coordinate System

From: Shawn Chen <shawn.hy.chen>
Date: Sun, 11 Feb 2007 17:52:18 +0100

 Dear Jonathan,

Thank you for clear this up.

>When it has been discussed before, the point has been made that
>this information doesn't exist for most models e.g. global climate models,
>which treat the Earth as a sphere, so it would be optional (like many other

>features of CF).

Please correct me if I am wrong. Isn't the definition of the ellipsoid and
prime meridian still necessary for data distribution in order to avoid
confusion among users who didn't create the dataset?

>It would help me/us to understand it if you could describe the required
>information in more detail and what it is used for.

I am not familiar with the usage of the dataset therefore I am in no
position to describe the require information. I believe that only data
users can give a good description in terms of which information is
necessary. However, I can explain what it is used for.

I raised the issue due to interoperability between earth science and
geoinformation realms. There were intense cooperation in GALEON IE projects
and a THREDDS-WCS gateway is implemented as the solution to distribute
climate/marine data to GIS community. With the amazing jobs that have been
conducted, it would be a shame if GIS users encounter problems in terms of
geo reference using netCDF data that is supposed to contains all the
necessary information. My impression is the lack of DATUM description may
be work fine for professionals in atmosphere and oceanography realms as you
chose to make it optional. Nevertheless, it could be a crucial component for
interoperability. In order to make things right and the efforts worthwhile,
I sincerely look forward to a standard that resolve the ambiguity in the
near future.