⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] axis attribute

From: Russ Rew <russ>
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2007 15:30:46 -0700

Jonathan,

Having finally carved out time to read all 33 messages in this thread,
I agree with your proposal satisfying the requirement to identify the
horizontal coordinate variables.

Ultimately, I think it would be good to satisfy a more general
requirement, to specify the intended meaning of each coordinate
variable, as needed for use in analysis and display software. For
example, we store radar observations that use spatial coordinate axes
corresponding to radial azimuth, radial elevation, and radial distance
from a radar. For a low elevation angle, radial azimuth and radial
distance could be interpreted as horizontal, but I'm not sure how
useful that would be for analysis and display software.