⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] aerosol and chemistry names - continuation

From: Christiane Textor <christiane.textor>
Date: Tue, 09 Jan 2007 17:58:28 +0100

Dear Jonathan and others,

I have updated the tables, please have a look at

http://wiki.esipfed.org/index.php/CF_Standard_Names_-_Accepted_names_for_TF_HTAP
and
http://wiki.esipfed.org/index.php/CF_Standard_Names_-_Proposed_names_for_TF_HTAP

The remaining issues concern:

============================

1) emission fluxes

>>atmosphere_emission means a source within the atmosphere, e.g. from the
>>surface or from an air plane.
>
> Ah, OK. Why is the surface included? You have separate surface fluxes.

The updated names are atmosphere_emission_mass_flux_of_X, there is no
surface. I have added a comment:
Integrate 3D emission field vertically to 2d field.

>>atmosphere_production means production within the atmosphere, this
>>includes direct sources and chemical production from precursors.
>
> So production = emission (from sources) + chemical net production
> It seems to me potentially confusing to have production in these two different
> senses on the left and right of the equation. What about saying "addition" on
> the left e.g. NOx is added to the atmosphere by emission from aircraft and by
> chemical production. The opposite of "addition" might be "removal", which
> comes about by deposition and chemical destruction. Do we also need to
> distinguish gross and net addition?

I agree that production is not the best term here. Could we use
atmosphere_source and atmosphere_removal?

> I see. Is reemission included in emission? This might be a source of confusion.

re-emission is not included in emission, and as it occurs only for a few
species, I do not think that it is necessary to add.

============================

2) optical depth or thickness
Ok, convinced: I changed it to thickness.

============================

3) X_optical_thickness or optical_thickness_due_to_X

(depth changed to thickness)

> Perhaps, as with named surfaces, it might be acceptable (if not too
> complicated) to say X_optical_depth if X is one word (since that is convenient
> and what people usually say e.g. for cloud and aerosol), and
> optical_depth_due_to_X if X is several words (to make it easier to understand).

(Please help me: Which named surfaces? is this linked to surface in
emission variables?)

So we come back to
atmosphere_optical_thickness_due_to_X. I agree that this is easier to
understand. I would like to add 'atmosphere' because it could also be
e.g. in the ocean. I have changed the table accordingly. See
http://wiki.esipfed.org/index.php/CF_Standard_Names_-_Proposed_names_for_TF_HTAP

X) something additional: particulate_organic_matter_dry_aerosol
Expressed as mass of particulate organic matter.
I have added a comment asking for the scale factor to obtain carbon mass
(particulate organic matter = Factor * particulate organic carbon)
"If possible, indicate scale factor to obtain carbon mass."
Different factors are used by the modelers, and it is of advantage to
know what is assumed for scaling OC and OM. OK?

Best wishes

  Christiane

--
Christiane Textor
Service d'A?ronomie INSU CNRS, Tour 46, RDC # 2
Email: christiane.textor at aero.jussieu.fr