⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] Proposed standard names for biological model outputs

From: Jonathan Gregory <j.m.gregory>
Date: Sat, 23 Dec 2006 13:25:57 +0000

Dear Steve

> Just FYI (and for what it's worth) the standard name for a
> mass-per-volume physical quantity is "mass density". "biomass density"
> would, therefore, seem a logical subtype. See
>
> <http://physics.nist.gov/Pubs/SP811/sec08.html>

Thanks for the link.

We have used "density" for quantities in kg m-3. I suppose "mass density" is
what people generally understand the word "density" to mean, when given without
qualification, but I agree that "density" can be a synonym for concentration
e.g. "number density" is quite a common phrase for m-3.

It seems less natural to me to use density for the mass concentration of
something (like oxygen) in some other medium (like water). "Density" is usually
the property of a medium, I would say, rather than a solute.