⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] attributes for min/max data values for visualization

From: Roy Lowry <rkl>
Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2006 16:57:35 +0000

Dear All,

Thought it might be worth sharing what we do in BODC. The netCDF data files carry the minimum and maximum values (excluding values QC-flagged as bad) for each channel as attributes, which are automatically checked against 'sensible ranges' from our parameter dictionary (equivalent of Standard Names plus Cell Methods), with mandatory resolution of check fails either by further data flagging or relaxation of the dictionary limits. Seems to work pretty well.

 I would see no harm in carrying both types of range as optional attributes. It's useful information that would be helpful to have labelled in a standardised manner.

Cheers, Roy.

>>> Steve Emmerson <steve at unidata.ucar.edu> 12/21/2006 4:39 pm >>>
Be careful. I've seen lots of sea surface temperatures of 38 celsius
and higher in my work as a research associate at the University of Miami.