⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] Getting back to ensembles

From: Roy Lowry <rkl>
Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2006 08:51:32 +0000

for 'totally different functionally' read 'totally different semantically' at the end of the 1st paragraph. Too early in the morning.....

>>> "Roy Lowry" <rkl at bodc.ac.uk> 12/15/2006 8:41 am >>>
Dear All,

Reading through this I am now starting to grasp the issue and have to say that I am definitely with Steve in the 'this needs to be in a separate vocabulary'. A vocabulary needs to describe an entity that is clearly defined. I found it difficult to come up with a definition better than 'a collection of labels' for a list covering both the current Standard Names and the ensemble labels, which whilst similar syntactically and functionally are totally different functionally.

As to whether that vocabulary should be internal or external comes down to what is available. If there is a list out there somewhere being maintained with adequate (maintains quality to CF standard and able to respond to CF's needs on a reasonable timescale) content governance then it could be adopted. If not, we need to manage it through the CF mechanism. I would be happy to provide technical governance through the NDG Vocabulary Server if required.

Cheers, Roy.

>>> Steve Hankin <Steven.C.Hankin at noaa.gov> 12/14/2006 5:57 pm >>>
Hi All,

Alison, thanks for that detailed summary and plowing through past email
threads to summarize. Your efforts have made it possible for new comers
to join this discussion. (And your success points up again the work
that remains for us to do to better organize our discussion threads -- a
subject for another discussion.)

I'd like to add my vote to those who agree *yes, there is a need for a
new and separate "external (*)" vocabulary* -- a.k.a. a
"standard_metadata" attribute. The reasoning behind this conclusion
for me is brought into focus in the gridspec proposal, where you'll see:

    standard_name = "link_base_path";
    standard_name = "link_path";
    standard_name = "grid_mosaic_spec";
    standard_name = "grid_tile_spec";
    standard_name = "grid_cell_area";
    standard_name = "grid_edge_x_distance";
    standard_name = "grid_edge_distance";
    standard_name = "grid_edge_angle_WRT_geographic_east";
    standard_name = "neighbor_cell_index";
    standard_name = "vertex_index";
    standard_name = "grid_x_coordinate";
    standard_name ="anchor_point_shared_between_tiles";
    standard_name ="orientation_of_shared_boundary";
    etc. etc.

Jonathan makes the point that "we need a way of deciding whether new
metadata added within CF should be standard names or standard
metadata". I'd argue that it is our *process* for discussion that is
making questions like this challenging to answer. Namely, we have not
started from a clear statement of our requirement. Just below is a
straw man for the requirement statement. _Please hack it to bits!_

    *Requirement: "A general mechanism is needed in the CF conventions
    to identify variables (netCDF variables, that is), that function as
    parts of CF data structures (grids, axes, coordinates, etc.)" *

If this is our requirement then this is _not _a requirement for a new
"external" vocabulary (see "*" from paragraph 2 above). It is an
internal vocabulary that should be fully documented in the body of the
CF standard. And it is under the sole control of those who are
developing the CF structure conventions.

Arriving at a clear statement of our requirement will often be lengthy
process of iteration. And in the present context there will be specific
names of variables that remain ambiguous cases. The term "ensembles"
may be one of those ambiguous cases. I lean towards the argument that
says "ensembles" has been proposed as a way to identify a new dimension
of the CF grid data structure (now 6-dimensional). Therefore it belongs
in the CF conventions -- not in the external list of standard_names.
But I'd agree this is an ambiguous case, when one compares to, say, a
dimension identified by 'standard_name="longitude";'.

Personally I do not like the attribute name "standard_metadata". The
use of the word "standard" seems to imply that there is an external
"standard" as there is with "standard_name". This is not the case, if
you accept the above. I'd lobby for something more like
"structure_element"?

    structure_element = "grid_mosaic_spec";
    structure_element = "grid_tile_spec";
    structure_element = "grid_cell_area";
    structure_element = "ensemble_axis"; <=== !!!!

    - Steve

Steve Hankin, NOAA/PMEL -- Steven.C.Hankin at noaa.gov
7600 Sand Point Way NE, Seattle, WA 98115-0070
ph. (206) 526-6080, FAX (206) 526-6744