⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] Getting back to ensembles

From: John Caron <caron>
Date: Fri, 01 Dec 2006 14:08:40 -0700

Simon Wood wrote:
> Dear Paco, Jonathan and others,
>

> conceptually the dataset is surely dimensioned
> (ensemble, reftime, time, level, latitude, longitude).

Hi Simon:

This is the way I have been thinking of these kinds of datasets. It is especially natural when there are always the same number of forecast/valid times for each reftime.

Flattening those into a single dimension that has two auxilary coordinates, as you do, seems natural also, and solves the problem when there are a different number of forecast/valid times for each reftime. But if we had ragged arrays, I would prefer those.

Im wondering which form really fits your use case from your POV: (ensemble, reftime, time, level, latitude, longitude), or (ensemble, i, level, latitude, longitude) ?

John