⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] curvilinear cartesian coordinates case

From: Brian Eaton <eaton>
Date: Fri, 1 Dec 2006 12:42:20 -0700

Hi Jonathan,

John proposed a new object that looks like this:

> int Dutch_CoordSystem;
> :coordinates = "dutch_x dutch_y";
> :grid_mapping = EPSG19914;

That's not using the grid_mapping variable to point to the projection
coordinates. It's defining a new object that contains both the projection
coordinates and the grid mapping. John's terminology for this object is a
"coordinate system". To me the new object is really a "grid", i.e., a set
of coordinate values and a description of the coordinate system (via the
grid_mapping) that allows us to locate the points in space. In the
terminology that you've described below the object is a container for a
"grid" and a "mapping". Regardless of the eventually adopted nomenclature,
I think John's got the syntax right. The example you present of several
sets of coordinates using the same projection would be represented as:

int grid1
 :coordinates = "grid1_x grid1_y";
 :grid_mapping = EPSG19914;
int grid2
 :coordinates = "grid2_x grid2_y";
 :grid_mapping = EPSG19914;

> The grid is a property of the
> data variable, because it is the only place the particular combination of
> coordinate variables is specified that constitute the grid.

But the grid is not a property of the data variable. And the objects John
proposes gives us a way to explicitly express the combination of coordinate
variables that constitute a grid rather than rely on the specification that
is implicit in a data variable.

Brian