⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] curvilinear cartesian coordinates case

From: Brian Eaton <eaton>
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2006 18:45:23 -0700

Hi John,

I like this proposal. It's a nice extension of what we started with the
grid mapping variables. I think creating objects to represent grids is a
good step forward. Jonathan has expressed doubts about this, e.g.,

On Wed, Nov 29, 2006 at 08:14:55AM +0000, Jonathan Gregory wrote:
> Dear Brian and Bert
> > But I still like Bert's original suggestion best. It seems quite natural to
> > me to attach the grid_mapping directly to
> > the coordinates that use that mapping -- even if it needs to be specified
> > in two variables. This actually makes the description of the projection
> > coordinates more self contained, rather than relying on some data variable
> > to make the connection between the auxiliary coordinate variables and a
> > grid_mapping variable.
> Yes, I see that advantage too. However, you could equally argue that there
> is no need for the association of the projection coordinates and the grid
> mapping in the absence of a data variable.

I routinely create files that contain only grid data. A typical use of
these files is as input to an application that does regridding. Such an
application may, for example, take an input datafile at some resolution, an
input grid file at a different resolution, and produce an output datafile
at the resolution contained in the grid file.

Brian