⇐ ⇒

Fwd: Re: [CF-metadata] axis attribute

From: Jonathan Gregory <j.m.gregory>
Date: Thu, 23 Nov 2006 17:31:52 +0000

Dear all

I agree with Simon's example and Richard's comments.

Re Bert's email.

> I am not yet able to convert to latitude/longitude
> in our model output since our model does not require the characteristics of
> the cartesian projection to be known, so I am not able to specify
> latitude/longitude allways.

CF requires lat and lon auxiliary coords to be provided so that a generic
application can plot the data, at least.

> I'm not sure whether it is allowed to refer to them [1D projection coords]
> also as auxiliary coordinate variables using the coordinates attribute.
Yes, it is.

> determined from ...
> the order of names in the coordinate attributes (CF convention).
No, because that order is not significant.

> In this case coord1 and coord2 are auxiliary coordinate variables. Normal
> coordinate variables are not available.
OK, but CF recommends they should be supplied if possible, even if they are
only indices.

> So, why do we need to have an
> additional attribute axis = "X" in the 1D case
My suggestion is that axis="X" and "Y" are useful to point out which are
the horizontal coordinates among the various dimensions of the data variable.

Cheers

Jonathan