⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] new standard_names for variables concerning sea surface waves

From: Jonathan Gregory <j.m.gregory>
Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2006 18:16:14 +0000

Dear Richard

Thank you for your helpful explanation of what these quantities mean as stats
of the spectrum. I agree with you that in view of their diversity they are
better regarded as independent quantities and given standard names as such,
rather than being described as statistics. Your definitions in terms of moments
would be useful to include in the description of these standard names.

However, I still wonder whether there are any more self-explanatory names we
can give to them than tm-1, tm1 and tm2. Is this what they are invariably
called, or do there exist any longer, more obvious, designations?

The frequency range could certainly be indicated for any such quantity by
including a size-one or scalar coordinate variable of e.g.
sea_surface_swell_wave_period, whose bounds would supply the range. We could
also define names for frequency, rather than period, if that is preferable,
as it seems it might be given your formulae are in terms of frequency. No
cell_methods entry would be needed, because these are integral quantities, and
their default interpretation is to apply to the range indicated by the bounds.

Cheers

Jonathan